Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My high school education

I’m conscious about my high school education leting me reach the university and about I’m actually a privileged person compared to other people if I consider this. However, in my opinion this is more related to systemic characteristics of Chilean education than related to my specific high school. I mean: in this place you can learn a lot about how to pass PSU test, but you won’t learn much more about values.
Camilo Henriquez High School is in Temuco, what is where I’m from. This is a scientific-humanist high school, with a solid formation in biology, chemistry, physics and maths but (in my opinion) a deficient foundations at history and humanism in general.

I had good and bad teachers but I still think that they worked too much in agree to the formal education planning. Sincerely I had waited for more rebelliousness and more criticism in their attitudes.

About technologies I didn’t have complaints. I mean, we had computers in the high school connected to Internet and high school had projectors and another multimedia resources but I think that all this must be subordinated to the teaching skill. In that way, I think I learned a lot because I had good teachers in some areas but I still have this complaint about the lack of a sense of human being formation in all this.

So, I think that in my decision of studying sociology my history and language teachers were not a good example in spite of this let me did a good PSU test and came to this University. If I had to recommend something to the authorities of my old high school it would be being less a private school with all its implications, besides having new teachers and optional subjects about humanism and social sciences because they have a really bad formation about those stuffs.

I think that a person is responsible about to use well the “tools” received in the life and not only in the formal education. In that way, I would say that people so many times is too much unfair in their opinions about people with less luck in this society

0 comments:

Post a Comment